How to make a complaint

Tuku amuamu mai

Last updated 15 April 2024
Last updated 15 April 2024

Part of our role at the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) is monitoring to make sure they deliver programmes in line with their funding agreements with us.

We want to hear from you if:

  • you think a TEO is not delivering the appropriate amount of teaching hours through your course
  • you are concerned about a TEO’s performance standards, or its compliance with TEC’s funding conditions.

Making a complaint

To make a complaint, you can: 

  • call our complaints helpline on 0800 601 301, or
  • email us using our contact form.

It’s useful if you give us your contact details so we can verify the complaint details – but we can receive anonymous complaints.

If you don’t want us to store your personal details, please tell us this when you make your complaint.

Information we need from you

So we can look into your complaint, we need to know:

  • the name of the TEO
  • who is involved
  • exactly what you are concerned about, and
  • whether you have raised this complaint directly with the TEO.


We know that some complainants wish to stay anonymous. We won’t record your identity if you ask us not to.

We also treat personal information relating to complaints as confidential. We will talk with you if anyone wants identifying personal information related to your complaint. 

We may not be the correct agency to deal with your complaint

If your complaint is about

Please contact

An issue with a teacher/lecturer, facilities at your TEO, or student policies and practices

Your TEO to discuss your concerns

Your student loan, student allowance, or student loan repayments


The delivery or quality of your course or study

New Zealand Qualifications Authority 


Human Rights Commission

Someone’s safety being at risk

WorkSafe New Zealand

New Zealand Police

How information about you has been stored or used

Privacy Commission

You’re an international student and have a concern

New Zealand Qualifications Authority

The delivery or quality of your course or study at a university

Universities New Zealand

If you’re unsure whether we are the right organisation to contact, call our complaints helpline to talk this through: 0800 601 301.

If you give us information that seems to raise concerns under a law that another government agency enforces, we may tell that agency about our concern. If we do pass your complaint to another agency, we will let you know.

What happens after you make a complaint?

Someone from our Customer Contact Group will look at the information you have given us, then advise you on the next steps.

We may contact you for clarification or information relating to your complaint.

Depending on the complaint, we may not be able to advise you directly of the outcome of any further enquiries we undertake. If your complaint results in a TEC investigation – which is a detailed examination of a TEO’s activities – we generally publish final reports at:


Reporting serious wrongdoing (protected disclosures)

If you are an employee (including a former employee) of an organisation that the TEC funds, and/or you wish to report serious wrongdoing, your complaint may be a protected disclosure under the Protected Disclosures Act.

The purpose of this Act is to encourage people to report serious wrongdoing in their workplace by providing protection for employees who consider they need to ‘blow the whistle’. This applies to public and private sector workplaces.

To find out how to report a serious wrongdoing to TEC – and how we manage these reports – please go to the ‘Protected disclosures’ section on our contact page.