The full eligibility criteria for the HAFL are included in the 2021 fund specific conditions and delegation to TEC available here:
2021 Hardship Fund for Learners funding conditions (PDF, 590 Kb)
TEOs who receive funding through one of the following Funds may be offered a HAFL allocation:
- Student Achievement Component – Provision at Level 3 and above on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework
- Student Achievement Component – Levels 1 and 2
- Youth Guarantee Fees Free
- Literacy and Numeracy (excluding Workplace Literacy and Numeracy)
- Specialised English for Speakers of Other Languages
- Tertiary providers being funded under section 556 of the Education and Training Act 2020.
If you are a TEO that receives Funding from the Industry Training Fund (ITF), you may receive HAFL Funding for the Technology Access Purpose, during a prolonged period of lockdown.
As the funding for HAFL is limited, the TEC is adopting a targeted approach in allocating funding to respond to the varying needs of learners across New Zealand.
Learners are eligible to receive payments or resources directly from the TEO through the fund:
(a) in respect of a learner who, is:
(i) enrolled in eligible programmes for which you receive funding under the Relevant Funds(s); and
(ii)an eligible learner in accordance with the learner eligibility conditions of the Relevant Fund(s); or
(b) to support a group of learners such as running a food bank, provided that the majority of the learners accessing the funding meet the learner eligibility criteria.