Higher level study

Higher level study includes undergraduate diplomas and degrees, graduate and postgraduate qualifications, and research. This type of tertiary education is characterised by research-led teaching and research, but it can also include vocational study such as nursing, law, engineering or teacher education.

Funding is primarily made available through the SAC[1] and PBRF[2] systems. Centres of Research Excellence are also supported through a funding arrangement.

Providers of higher level study tend to be those with a Crown ownership interest, such as universities, wānanga and ITPs. Of the non-Crown owned organisations, PTEs are also significant providers of degrees. 

  • [1]

    Student Achievement Component fund (SAC)

  • [2]

    Performance-Based Research Fund (PBRF)

  • Last changed: 24 December 2010
  • Last verified: 22 June 2015