Funding across the tertiary sector varies across years. In most instances these variations are due to funding adjustments, mergers or where funds end or are amalgamated.
The All Grants Provider Funding Publication spread sheet at the bottom of this page contains funding information for 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Between 2014 and 2015 there are some key points to note in the funding allocations. These include:
- the end of Apprenticeship Reboot funding from 30 June 2015;
- changes to Training for Designated Groups, and
- further allocations still to be made in 2015.
The All Grants Provider Funding Publication spread sheet allows users to view allocations for funded TEOs, by year, fund, region of TEO head office, sector and sub-sector groups.
Filters have been provided to allow users to view allocation, recovery and performance-linked funding adjustments as well as comparisons by year.
Three main tabs provided in the spread sheet are:
- 2013-2015 Summary: Provides allocations by Appropriation/Fund;
- 2013-2015 Comparison: Allows the comparison of allocations between any two of these years (i.e. 2013 & 2014, 2013 & 2015, 2014 & 2015), and
- 2013-2015 Regional Summary: Provides allocations by region based on the location of TEO head office.
Important notes on viewing funding allocation information
Funding allocations and final funding
While fund allocations are made at the beginning of a year, TEC may later make adjustments to funding levels to take into account recoveries for under-delivery, performance-linked funding (PLF) and other funding adjustments.
The information provided may change during the year until the allocation of funds and the recoveries process for a particular year is complete. This means final funding for 2013 in this spread sheet cannot be directly compared to the funding shown for 2015.
The following outlines the completion status of each year in the spread sheet:
- 2013 is complete and includes the actual funding paid out to TEOs adjusted for final recoveries and the final PLF adjustment;
- 2014 includes the actual funding paid out to TEOs adjusted for recoveries and PLF adjustments actioned at the time of publication.
- 2015 includes funding allocations and any adjustments to those allocations such as plan amendments or contract changes agreed at the time of publication. All transactions up to 30 January 2015 are included in this spread sheet.
Funds yet to be allocated or where a mid-year reallocation is anticipated
Further allocations will be made from the following funds during 2015:
- Employer-led Workplace Literacy fund: this is a sub-set of Literacy and Numeracy (LN) - Workplace Literacy Fund.
- Youth Guarantee: mid-year reallocation anticipated.
- Māori and Pasifika Trades Training (Student Achievement Component (SAC) trade top-up).
- Maori and Pasifika Trades Training (Brokerage).
- Māori and Pasifika Trades Training (Trainee Tools): paid in arrears on the submission of data by TEOs.
- SAC Level 1-2 Fees Free: paid in arrears on the submission of data by TEOs.
- Reboot (Employer): paid in arrears on the submission of data by TEOs.
- Reboot (Trainee): paid in arrears on the submission of data by TEOs.
- Industry Training (Direct Access).
- ICT Graduate Programmes: funding starts mid-year.
- Secondary-Tertiary Interface: previously known as Trades Academy and now administered by the Ministry of Education – see further note below.
Discontinued and amalgamated funds
The following funds have discontinued:
- Building Research Capability in Strategically Relevant Areas: discontinued from 2014.
- European Union Exchange Project: discontinued from 2013.
- Priorities for Focus (Universities): discontinued from 2013.
- Foundation - Focused Training Opportunities: discontinued from 2014.
- Tertiary Education Merger support: discontinued from 2015.
- SAC Skills for Canterbury Pacific Trades: discontinued from 2014.
- SAC Skills for Canterbury Trades: discontinued from 2015
The following funds have been amalgamated:
- Youth Training: amalgamated with Youth Guarantee from 2012.
- LN-Workplace Literacy Fund - Employee Targeted Self-Referral: amalgamated with LN-Workplace Literacy Fund from 2015.
- Modern Apprenticeships (MA) and Modern Apprenticeship Brokerage (MAB): amalgamated with Industry Training Fund from 2014.
There are also some one-off funding allocations:
- Industry Training Fund Ring-Fenced Amounts: funding is for industry training related projects (as per section 45 of the Ministerial Determination for the Industry Training Fund). These are one-off contracts for specific purposes and will vary year to year.
- Employer-led Workplace Literacy funding (sub-set of LN-Workplace Literacy): employers can access this funding for up to two years to help them develop a sustainable model to support literacy and numeracy in the workplace.
Student Achievement Component (SAC) changes
In Budget 2012, the SAC funding for 2013 was divided into two funding pools; one pool for Levels 1 and 2, and one for Levels 3 and above. A third of the funding pool for Levels 1 and 2 was made available through a competitive process for the first time.
Trades Academy changes
2012 Trades Academy funding was allocated by TEC, however, administration of this fund transferred to the Ministry of Education from 2013. The Trades Academy funding is specified as Secondary-Tertiary Interface from 2013.
Industry Training changes
From 2014 Modern Apprenticeships (MA) and Modern Apprenticeship Brokerage (MAB) have been combined into the existing Industry Training Fund (ITF). This means that a comparison of MA and MAB funding in the spread sheet between 2013 and 2014 or 2015 will show as a 100% decrease for MA and MAB funding and a significant increase in ITF for the same TEOs.
A sub fund within ITF, Industry Training (Direct Access), has been created to identify allocation for the direct access scheme.
Any TEO or ITO mergers have been listed on the Mergers tab on the spread sheet. There were no new mergers in 2014.
All Grants Provider Funding Publication spread sheet
Note this spreadsheet is protected from editing. To enable editing and be able to expand the data lists follow these steps:
- To activate the drop down menus, you will need to click “Enable Editing” on the spreadsheet.
- You will then see a message in the title bar: “An author has marked this workbook as final to discourage editing.” Choose “Edit Anyway”.
- You should now be able to expand the lists marked with a “+”.
6 May 2015
6 May 2015