Monitoring and reporting
Performance monitoring and reporting are critical for maintaining a culture of transparency and high performance in tertiary education. This activity provides a focus on the outcomes required by Government and an evidence base for decision making by government agencies.
Tertiary education organisations (TEOs) monitor and report on their own performance against delivery and performance commitments agreed in their Investment Plans by the TEC. We publish some performance information and also prepare reports for various audiences from the available data.
TEOs that receive off-Plan funding may have minimum performance standards specified in their funding letters.
The combined information subsequently informs discussions with TEOs through our engagement processes and is also used to inform investment decisions.
Various organisations are involved in performance monitoring in tertiary education:
- TEOs monitor their own performance and report to the TEC
- we monitor Tertiary Education Strategy priority outcomes; individual TEO performance against Plan commitments or performance standards; compliance with legislation and regulation; and compliance against other TEC funding conditions
- we monitor tertiary education institutions (TEIs i.e. universities, institutes of technology and polytechnics and wānanga) from the Crown's ownership perspective including financial viability, sustainability, and governance considerations
- the NZQA monitors individual TEOs' effectiveness in providing quality education
- the Ministry of Education monitors sector performance as a whole, especially progress towards the achievement of the Tertiary Education Strategy.
Monitoring and reporting requirements vary between TEIs and other TEOs such as private training establishments (PTEs), industry training organisations (ITOs) and schools.
The monitoring and reporting requirements for each fund type are outlined in each TEO's Investment Plan funding approval letter, funding letter, or funding agreement.
Monitoring and reporting requirements associated with individual funds are described in more detail on the funding web pages, available through our Fund Finder.
2 April 2015
2 April 2015