Monitoring and reporting
Performance monitoring and reporting are critical for maintaining a culture of transparency and high performance in tertiary education. This activity provides a focus on the outcomes required by Government and an evidence base for decision making by government agencies.
TEOs monitor and report on their own performance against delivery and performance commitments agreed in their Investment Plans by TEC. We publish some performance information and also prepare reports for various audiences from the available data.
The combined information subsequently informs discussions with TEOs through our engagement processes and is also used to inform investment decisions.
Various organisations are involved in performance monitoring in tertiary education:
- TEOs monitor their own performance and report to TEC
- We monitor Tertiary Education Strategy priority outcomes; individual TEO performance against Plan commitments; compliance with legislation and regulation; and compliance against other TEC funding conditions and rules
- We monitor tertiary education institutions (TEIs i.e. universities, polytechnics and wānanga) from the Crown's ownership perspective including financial viability, sustainability, and governance considerations
- The NZQA monitors individual TEOs' effectiveness in providing quality education
- the Ministry of Education monitors sector performance as a whole, especially progress towards the achievement of the Tertiary Education Strategy.
Monitoring and reporting requirements vary between TEIs (see Condition MOR103) and other TEOs (PTEs, REAPs, and schools - see Condition MOR003). These conditions require learners to be notified at enrolment that their records may be accessed by us for monitoring and evaluative purposes. ITOs also have specific monitoring and reporting requirements relating to the Industry Training Fund.
For some off-Plan funds, and for those organisations exempt from the requirement to have an Investment Plan, the monitoring and reporting requirements will be outlined in a TEO's funding agreement.
Monitoring and reporting requirements associated with individual funds are described in more detail on the funding web pages.
17 December 2010
17 December 2010