Monitoring and reporting
These pages relate to funding allocated through TEO-led Workplace Literacy and Numeracy (WLN). See Employer-led Workplace Literacy and Numeracy for information about the Employer-led strand.
All organisations that receive WLN funding will report on, and be monitored against, the performance indicators and delivery commitments agreed with us through:
- the Investment Plan for tertiary education organisations (TEOs), or
- the funding confirmation letter for employers.
If the TEO has not met the required levels of performance, we may:
- use the level of performance to inform future funding decisions, and
- recover funding if, when measured against performance indicators, the TEO has not met a condition of funding.
Monitoring learner progress
Recipients of WLN funding must identify learners’ literacy, numeracy or literacy and numeracy gains, as outlined in Condition WLN010, against the Learning Progressions for Adult Literacy and Numeracy using the Literacy and Numeracy for Adults Assessment Tool (including the Youth option, Te Ata Hāpara option, and Starting Points option as appropriate).
The Assessment Tool provides tertiary educators, TEOs and the TEC with information on learners’ literacy and numeracy levels and evidence of their progress.
Where a learner is not yet at the first steps of the Learning Progressions, TEOs can use either:
An initial assessment must be undertaken near the beginning of the enrolment, and a progress assessment undertaken near the end of the enrolment.
We may also consider evidence of learners improving their literacy and numeracy skills as measured by the Assessment Tool as part of determining performance.
For further information on the Assessment Tool, see these two resources:
The reporting information below is specifically for TEO-led programmes. For information about reporting on Employer-led WLN programmes see the Employer-led Workplace Literacy and Numeracy Funding page.
TEOs must submit three reports for the funded calendar year, as outlined in Condition WLN001. This includes two progress reports and one final report to be submitted through Workspace 2. The report template will be made available on Workspace 2 early in the year.
Progress reports relate to the TEO's specific delivery commitments. The reports cover all delivery for the funded calendar year. They are cumulative and build on the information supplied in the previous reporting period.
After the report template with progress information has been submitted, it will be released back to the TEO for further data entry (i.e. the cumulative information).
TEOs receiving WLN funding should also:
- name the businesses they are, and will be, working with, and
- following completion of the TEC-funded programme provide a summary of the capability and forward planning for individual businesses they work with. This should outline how the TEO will ensure businesses are able to continue delivering literacy and numeracy within their workplace (this is not applicable where very small numbers of employees per business are involved e.g. less than 10 employees).
Report due dates
Reports must be submitted to us by the following dates:
- a progress report for the period 1 January to 31 May no later than 10 working days after 31 May
- a progress report for the period 1 January to 30 September no later than 10 working days after 30 September
- a final report for the period 1 January to 31 December no later than 31 January of the following year.
Performance information submitted through the final report will also be used to inform future funding decisions.
As per Condition WLN013 a TEO that receives WLN funding via an Investment Plan must meet the following delivery benchmarks:
- by 31 May, the TEO must have delivered at least 40% of the provision specified in its Investment Plan
- by 30 September, the TEO must have delivered at least 70% of the provision specified in its Investment Plan.
We will monitor the TEO’s compliance with this condition through the progress reports that the TEO must supply to us under Condition WLN001.