Monitoring and reporting
Tertiary education organisations (TEOs) must report through the Single Data Return (SDR) Student Achievement Component (SAC)-funded provision at level 3 and above on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF) (for the purposes of this website page, referred to as SAC3+).
The full details of the timing and data required to be submitted in the SDR can be found in the SDR Manual. A guide to submitting an SDR can be found on the STEO website.
See Condition SAC3+001 and Condition SDR001 and Condition SDR001 (PTE) for further information on reporting requirements.
As part of the Investment Plan process, we expect each TEO to notify us of any performance issues as soon as it becomes aware of them.
We monitor a TEO’s performance and uses this information to address under-performance during the period of its Investment Plan, and also to inform future funding decisions; taking both good and poor performance into account.
In relation to SAC3+ funding, performance areas we monitor include:
- delivery volume against the agreed SAC3+ allocation
- delivery against an agreed mix of provision. Each TEO is responsible for advising us of significant shifts from the agreed mix of provision, and the rationale for any likely significant change in delivery
- compliance with legislative requirements and funding conditions
- delivery against performance standards agreed in the Investment Plan, including any minimum achievement levels (see Condition SAC3+004)
- achievement of performance-linked funding thresholds.
A maximum of 5% of a TEO's funding is based on its educational performance in the previous year (or years) measured against a range of indicators. For more information, see the Performance-linked funding page on this website.
Suspending or revoking funding
Under section 159YG of the Education Act 1989 (the Act), the TEC may suspend or revoke some or all funding given under section 159YA of the Act if we are satisfied on reasonable grounds that:
- when measured against performance indicators, the TEO has not achieved, or is not achieving an outcome anticipated in its Investment Plan for a tertiary education programme or activity in relation to which funding has been given under section 159YA of the Act
- the TEO has not complied, or is not complying with a condition on which funding has been given under section 159YA of the Act, or
- the TEO has not provided, or is not providing, adequate and timely information required by the TEC or Ministry of Education under section 159YC of the Act.
Monitoring the Annual Maximum Fee Movement (AMFM) policy
Condition SAC3+022 outlines the requirements of the AMFM policy that a TEO must adhere to. We monitor for compliance with the policy. Once the TEO submits its SDR, we will check for fees or course costs that are above the AMFM for SAC3+ funded courses. If there are fees or costs that exceed the AMFM, we will seek an explanation from the TEO.
If there are discrepancies the TEO will need to investigate and correct any mistakes, including refunding the overcharged components of fee/course costs as applicable.
Tertiary education institution (TEI) benchmarking
To enhance institutional capability, performance and sustainability in the sector, TEIs must participate in benchmarking, Using the New Zealand Benchmarking Tool, TEIs can measure their performance against various educational and financial performance benchmarks. See Condition SAC3+030 for more information.