| Who applies?
ITPs, PTEs, Universities, Wānanga
|| Fund focus:
Capability funding, Capability, Learning focus, Scholarships
Limited to certain providers
|| Agreed through?
Investment Plan (on Plan)
The Adult Literacy Educator (ALE) Fund provides support for learners to complete qualifications in teaching literacy and numeracy to adults.
The purpose of ALE funding is to reduce the fees for learners studying these qualifications to help build an effective literacy and numeracy teaching workforce. The ALE Fund provides a limited number of study grants that offset the fees charged by providers.
The ALE Fund is available to eligible tertiary education organisations (TEOs) to provide approved adult literacy and numeracy educator qualifications to eligible learners at a reduced fee.
The ALE Fund objectives are to:
- build an effective literacy and numeracy teaching workforce
- reduce the fees for qualifications for literacy and numeracy educators
- contribute to the tertiary education system in line with the Government’s Tertiary Education Strategy.
The ALE Fund is aligned to a TEO's Investment Plan. Delivery of each Plan is monitored by the TEC.
The Literacy and Numeracy funding mechanism (PDF, 445 Kb) is issued by the Minister for Tertiary Education, Skills and Employment. The funding mechanism outlines the general form and essential components of the fund. It provides the mandate for the TEC to allocate the funding, and details how we administer the fund.
A TEO that receives ALE funding is required to:
- comply with the requirements of the Education Act 1989
- comply with the funding conditions specified in the TEO's Investment Plan funding approval letter.